This year, Kitah Bet has been learning about the unprecedented political conundrum Israel finds herself in: the Knesset’s inability to form a government after TWO rounds of general elections! We have been talking about the Israeli parliamentary system, how coalition building works, and its differences from our political set-up here at home in the USA.
The first question the kids ask when they walk into the classroom is, “Are there any election updates?” or “Does Israel have a government yet?” Their inquisitiveness and enthusiasm inspired Rozzie (one of the fabulous former MSU students teaching Kitah Bet) to write up a program simulating a parliamentary election. She even made sure that the election results would have a real-world impact the students care about…their snacks!
Click here for some pictures from that day and to find out who won the coveted title of Prime Minister of Snacks.
Kivunim wants to thank everyone who came out for the run for Cristo Rey on October 5th. KI entered six runners and had FOUR division winners! Yashar ko’ach!
We really got into the swing of things in October. The Kitah Bet students finished their first research projects on the Tanach and presented their work to classmates. The kids raised a lot of good questions and showed a real depth of thinking coming up with possible answers to the Torah’s mysteries. We can’t wait to see what the rest of the year holds in store.
Kitah Alef has been busy working on tefillot (prayers), alef-bet, and Torah.
Check out the bulletin board in the hallway for a sampling of how we blend learning prayer and the alef-bet. Here’s a quick snapshot.
All of us at Kivunim hope that everyone had a great High Holy Day season. Shanah tovah umetukah!
- Saturday, November 9th, 11am. Tot Shabbat. Anna Pegler-Gordon and Neil Gordon will lead a lively Tot Shabbat for tots and parents/grandparents.
- Saturday, November 16th, 10am. Jonny Kalt’s Bar Mitzvah.
- Sunday, November 17th, 10am. Global Day of Jewish Learning at Shaarey Zedek. We will be continuing our tradition of observing the Global Day of Jewish Learning with our pals at Shaarey Zedek. This year, they will be hosting us.
- Wednesday, November 20th, 4pm. Sigd. Kitah Bet will be learning about the Ethiopian Jewish holiday of Sigd, celebrating Moses getting the Torah. This will be during normal Hebrew School time.
- Wednesday, November 27th and Sunday, December 1st. Thanksgiving Break. There will be NO Hebrew School or Sunday School on these days. Have a great Thanksgiving and safe travels!
We are the religious school at Congregation Kehillat Israel, a small-but-mighty synagogue in the heart of Michigan. Welcome to our website!
Here you will find more about us, an event calendar, student forms, and school announcements.
Wednesday school, for grades 3 to b’nai mitzvah meets from 4:00pm-6:00pm.
Sunday school for grades kindergarten to b’nai mitzvah meets from 10:00am-12:15pm
Join KIvunim to stuff backpacks with school supplies for Refugee Development Center kids on August 25th from 1pm-3pm at Nicole’s house in Williamston.
Bring a GENDER NEUTRAL (primary colors or black, no characters) school backpack with pencils, pens, colored pencils, markers, glue, scissors, notebooks, folders, erasers, and notebook paper. We’re asking for specifically gender neutral backpacks as many of the children are in middle/high school and we don’t know how many boys/girls are in need.
KIvunim will provide the ice cream. You bring the backpacks. Together we help some newcomers get ready for school.
RSVP to email@example.com to get directions!